It’s done! I spent today fleshing out the final boss fight, music, and lots and lots of playtesting and tweaking until the game felt challenging but winnable (and fun!).

screenshot

Among the myriad bugs I fixed today, the most visually interesting was this one:

screenshot-bug

Not every sludge cell contains a light, as that would be too computationally expensive. Instead, just the boundary of the sludge pools are lights. This works well until you get a really big sludge pool - no light from the edges reaches the centre! The “fix” was to give each internal sludge cell a small chance of containing a light.

A less visually interesting bug I found was that when the desktop (ie. non-web) version of the game ran for more than a few minutes, changing the currently-playing sound causes the audio library to crash. I did a little digging and I can’t see any easy fix for this, so I’ve disabled audio in the desktop versions of the game. This is a shame because I think the music really fit the aesthetics of the game, but it’s not worth the instability it caused. Also I expect most players to play the web-version of the game anyway!

I’ll do a longer post with a summary of the week and links to download and play the game in a day or so. If you can’t wait, the source code is here: https://github.com/stevebob/slime99.